Monday, May 21, 2012

Reusable Produce Bag Tutorial

Paper or Plastic?
Neither!



We've been shopping with reusable grocery bags for a while now, but I'm still using plastic produce bags when I'm picking up fruit and veggies. I've tried to forgo the bag all together, but the cashiers tend to give me the stink-eye when half a dozen oranges go rolling about freely during check out. What a dilemma.

I knew the solution was to make my own, and I had two requirements. It had to be extremely light weight ('cause produce is sold by weight, duh!) and the goods inside had to be easily visible - we don't want to irritate the cashiers by making them search for the sticker...


So below is what I came up with. Not only does it meet the above requirements, it is also extremely cheap and fast!


Reusable Produce Bag Tutorial:








Supplies:
Nylon netting 34 x 14 inches
2 fabric strips 31/2 x 14 inches
narrow ribbon, string or cording
optional, cord locks




Fold the netting in half, matching short sides. Sew long sides together. Turn.


Sew fabric strips WST  on short sides forming a band.
Leave a small opening on one side, back-stitching where you start and stop.
 (no precision here, just below the half way point)


Press seams open.


Edge stitch both sides of seam with the opening.


Fold band in half and press


Open band up and press 1/4 hem on both raw edges


Re-fold band in place


Matching side seams, pin netting into band, placing raw edge of netting against inside fold of band.


Pin all the way around the band.


Edge stitch around bottom of band, being sure to catch both top and bottom layers while stitching.
Edge stitch around top of band.


Your band is now a casing for the drawstring.
Using a safety pin or a bodkin, feed your ribbon (or cording) through the opening you've left in the casing.


Pull ribbon all the way through.


You can tie a knot in the ends of your ribbon so they don't slip back into the casing,


or you can use a cord stop.


There you have it!
1 yard of netting cost me less than a dollar, and gave me enough material to make 4 full size produce bags!



I used the scraps to make a teeny tiny produce bag for things like Garlic and Ginger



 Tell us! Have you made anything "GREEN" lately?
As always, if you decide to make one up we'd love to hear about it!






Pin It

8 comments:

  1. If you have to warning some sort of long term contract, it really is well-advised which you
    look at in which agreement to see anything that stands out.
    Make the process of ordering be stress-free
    to complete at all times as possible. A skilled SEO campaigner knows to ease out a complex
    site and re-structure it to suit real users as well as search engines.



    My website - yatching; ,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heya i am for the first time here. I came across this board and I to find It really useful & it helped me
    out much. I'm hoping to present something again and help others such as you
    helped me.

    Also visit my page: aspirateur automatique

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe that is one of the so much important info for me.
    And i'm glad studying your article. But should remark on few common issues,
    The site style is ideal, the articles is in reality great
    : D. Excellent task, cheers

    Here is my web page; mold testing fee ()

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there every one, here every one is sharing such experience, so it's good to read this webpage, and I used to pay a visit this website every day.



    my webpage government grants for new businesses

    ReplyDelete
  5. wonderful post, very informative. I'm wondering why the other experts of
    this sector don't realize this. You must proceed your writing.
    I'm sure, you've a great readers' base already!

    Also visit my blog tworzenie stron internetowych - -

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey terrific website! Does running a blog such as this require a large amount of work?
    I have very little understanding of computer programming however I was hoping
    to start my own blog soon. Anyhow, if you have any recommendations
    or techniques for new blog owners please share. I know this is off subject but I just had to ask.

    Thank you!

    Look into my web-site: capsiplex

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm truly enjoying the design and layout of your site.
    It's a very easy on the eyes which makes it much more pleasant for me to come here and visit more
    often. Did you hire out a developer to create your
    theme? Superb work!

    Also visit my blog post - motorcycle accident lawyers in Detroit

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent items from you, man. I have understand your stuff prior to and you are simply extremely great.
    I really like what you've obtained right here,
    really like what you're saying and the way in which by which you are saying it.
    You make it enjoyable and you still take care of to stay it wise.
    I can't wait to read far more from you. This is actually a terrific
    site.

    my homepage: Halo Cig

    ReplyDelete

Questions, comments? We love to hear it all, thanks for dropping us a line!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...