Monday, June 11, 2012

Padded Head Board with Ribbon Trim Easy DIY!

I'm in the process of re-doing and organizing my daughters room. At 11 years old, she's not quite a 'teen - but she's beyond the little girl stage. She's a collector; drawings, photos, notes, you name it - they're everywhere. I'm not really hip with taping stuff to the walls, so I'm trying to come up with clutter and damage free wall solutions.

Enter the French Memo Board Head Board.

She thinks it looks cool, I didn't have to use any power tools.
I call that a win-win.




For a Full Sized head board I used
 4  22x28 artist canvases, 2 yards of  batting, 1 twin sheet and several spools of ribbon


 I know there are dozens of tutorials on how to make a memo board, and this is basically the same concept so I won't bore you with the step-by-step how to.

A few tips worth pointing out:
Start in the centers when stapling and work towards the corners to keep your fabric taut and smooth


Fold your corners like wrapping a present





Determine what pattern you want - remember you will have 4 boards to coordinate!


Use a quilters ruler to keep strips evenly spaced


Use tape to secure ribbon in place when your happy with the layout,
then you can flip the whole board over and staple the ribbon in place without worrying about any shifting!


Use Command Adhesive strips to attach to the wall -
they wont cause any damage - and they are repositionable, so if you don't get it right the first time you can tweak it!
For this size canvas, I used 4 each (a total of 16)


Start in one corner, making sure your board is level and add 1 memo board at a time working clockwise.


And Ta-Da! You are done! 
Instant headboard on the quick and cheap!


Kadence is really loving it, I have several more projects to get done in her room this week, but for now she's  happy just to have the headboard up!


She's already adding her "stuff" she's really pleased she can just loop her book over a ribbon and mark her place when she's done reading before bed!



Tell us! Have you ever used a sheet for a project instead of buying fabric?

Pin It

4 comments:

  1. I find old sheets great as muslins for new patterns. Sometimes they look so good I want to keep them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Making a wearable muslin from sheets is a great idea, I love using vintage sheets with a shabby rose print.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very, very cute and simple! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Valuable information ..I am delighted to read this article..thank you for sharing. What kind of ribbon do you think it's the best to make them? Grosgrain Ribbon, Satin Ribbon or Organza Ribbon? And where can I Wholesale Ribbon from? Thanks for your advice.

    ReplyDelete

Questions, comments? We love to hear it all, thanks for dropping us a line!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...